The aims of the kConFab study are to identify families with genetic
predisposition to breast/ovarian cancer. This has not been studied on
a national level before.
- Identify the predisposing genes in these families and characterise
- Determine whether the type of mutation influences the type of cancer,
the age at which cancer occurs or its severity.
- Determine what lifestyle and environmental factors influence the risk
of developing cancer in people who inherit these mutations and which
of these factors delay or accelerate the onset of cancer.
- Obtain and store clinical samples for later use in research projects.
- Establish a system to gather ongoing clinical data from affected and
- Place all of this data in a relational database that will be accessible
for ethically approved basic and clinical projects.